99.89

Posted by PL Monday, March 29, 2010

The unthinkable happened in November-December of 2009. The mouse pawned the cat - something to cheer about for Jerry ;). Beset with innumerable problems, the online version of CAT 2009 was conducted under a wave of criticism over the way it was conducted. Prometric had to bear the brunt of 2.5 lakh candidates in every internet forum where one could chip in. And not without reason. They had indeed goofed up big time. In a bid to recover some lost ground, a re-test was scheduled in January 2010 end. But here too, they fell short having not been able to identify the candidates who should be re-tested.


Anyway, after all this, one would expect a paperless test to be more responsive than the paper one, which translates into a faster result. I appeared for the test on 30th of November, 2009 (Read about my test experience here). And guess what (though, something hardly to guess if you are aware of what's happening around), I could only lay my eyes on the results after 90 days of the test. All this trouble only to be more late than they ever had been with the paper-based test.


28th February, 2010


1220 hours


CAT results declared


99.89%ile


*blink* *blink*

F#cking yes!!

Papaji ..
Kummu ..
Gtalk pings ..

yoyo!!

Sink in .. oh come on .. sink in

blur

And so, the day went on with everyone congratulating everybody else. As the results poured in, it seemed that Nehruites had some kind of unwritten reservation on the higher percentiles. Where else can you find figures like 99.99, .98, .97, .92, .88, .68 in just a sample population of 140 odd students.

More than the percentile, I had wanted calls from all IIMs. But this dream came all crashing down when suddenly, every IIM hiked the weightage on past academics. Soon, students when getting admitted in nursery, will start getting a brochure of how much to score in each class to be eligible and to get selected in the IIMs. Anyhow, "luckily" enough, I got the two cherished calls of A and C (the pain on missing out on B! :( ).

Then it dawned. CAT was not the ultimate test, rather just the beginning.

Interview "horror" experiences soon to be up.

PS1: The scoring system in CAT09, was shitty to say the least (quite humbly, I did expect more :| )
PS2: Dreamt of cracking it since I kept track of bizarre full-forms of CAT - Computed Tomography :D
PS3: My poor F5 key
PS4: I know the post sounds like I am filled with myself. I am. Don't bother.

0 Responses to 99.89

Post a Comment

Kadardaan